Dear Resident of Joburg
The 947 Cycle Challenge is in its 20th year and is set to attract 35 000 cyclists on Sunday, 20 November 2016. To ensure the safety of both the cyclists as well as the residents, the City of Joburg, the Johannesburg Metropolitan Police Department, the Johannesburg Roads Agency and the Gauteng Department of Roads and Transport will implement TOTAL ROAD CLOSURE along the route.
We understand the impact of the road closures and thank you for giving up your streets for the day – your co-operation helps to make a difference to many people, in addition to the cyclists as thousands Ride for a Purpose.
We, the event, take great measures in ensuring that we notify the residents in the community of the road closures so that you can plan your day to avoid inconvenience.
- These include:
- Notifying all ward councillors that are directly affected by the Road Closures
- Erecting traffic advisory boards along the route
- Resident flyer drop offs to all residents, shopping centres and churches along the route
- Traffic bulletins on both 947 and 702 stations
- Notification, and even maps in print media during the week leading up to the event
- Awareness on our social media platforms
- We encourage the community to get involved as much as possible along the route:
- We offer Power zones for companies to activate and enjoy branding and presence along the route.
- If you are a company looking to activate along the route, please contact Nicole at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Home owners to come out on the day and support along the route… Camper chairs, umbrellas and loads of gees!
- School bands can also get involved by finding a spot along the route and activating. Be sure to contact Nicole to check availability of the spot.
We also don’t want to take away from the fact that some of our residents have work, or church on Cycle Challenge Sunday, and therefore we have alternative routes to assist to get you through Joburg avoiding the closures.
We have a dedicated Call Centre that can assist with routing you around the closures. Our Call Centre number is 011 017 2700.
Thank you for your patience and understanding. You will be contributing to the success of one of the world’s largest mass participation cycling events and an iconic Joburg event.